Thursday, June 14, 2007

7.5 Lifelong Learning Habits

Yeah!!! I have begun my first blog. One of the first things we have been asked to do is to comment on one of the easiest and one of the hardest habits from the 7.5 Lifelong Learning Habits.



The easiest one for me would be "accepting responsibility for my own learning". I think this is something I have always worked at doing professionally and in my personal life. On a smaller scale - I think we often do this in the course of an average day. With patrons or staff, we come across questions and/or things we have never done. So we are always learning and adapting as we go. On a larger scale -I think we work at seeing what trends or demands may be coming and work to prepare through reading, discussions and training. A big appeal to me in being a librarian is the need to constantly be learning and accepting change.

The hardest habit then would be "viewing problems as challenges". I love the concept of this but it is just so hard to put into daily practice. I think this is one that can be hard for everyone. The opportunity to take any problem and begin with a positive point of approaching it is wonderful. Thinking that there is a solution - I just need to figure it out. That every "problem" is actually a challenge and a chance to be creative. Great way to approach life too. Turn obstacles into learning opportunities for personal growth. Something to work on.

No comments: