Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Week 3: Flickr.com


Explored the Flickr site and tried the Flickr mashups. I really enjoyed searching on topics of interest for myself and finding images that I have never seen on the general web. The site was friendly to use and search. I did not realize how broad it is with content - photos from so many countries and people.

My first search was looking for the Dalai Lama. I found some wonderful photos of him from his talks. Many of the images I would never have seen otherwise. I feel a little limited though because I do not own a digital camera at the moment so I can not post myself. What if the Dalai Lama wants to search for me?

Did learn a new word in exploring -- "interestingness" -- I like that. The geotagging feature was neat - the linking of images with their place of origin - cool concept - very visual and opens a new perspective to consider. The video tutorials were helpful and well done. I can see how this technique could be used in so many ways in libraries for patrons as well as staff. Too many other features to present at once - still exploring - site is much deeper than I thought.

I was a little lost initially with the Flickr mashups. So - I googled it and found a nice site that explained it well and linked into ten cool ones. Getting a better grasp on it now.

http://www.webmonkey.com/06/08/index4a.html

Favorite one was the first one Retrievr -- you draw with colors an image and a search is generated for images best matching it. Nice!!! Just so interesting to see how people have run with ideas and shared them. Clor Pickr was different - liked how visual and diverse it could be so quickly.

No comments: